Monday, March 21, 2016

Pretty black floral desk

 
Last time I blogged, I spoke about how my grey industrial work table
just wasn't working for me in my home office/studio.  I said I was likely
going to go looking for a French style desk or writing table.  But then a funny
thing happened after I did a run to Michaels craft store for some supplies.
At Michaels, I noticed some very pretty black floral drawer liner papers. 
I bought two boxes of them thinking I might use them to cover books or line the back
of my china cabinet/bookshelf in the office as an accent.  But then it struck me!
Use it as a covering on the old worn out desk top!  Simply applied with 
some Mod Podge (a glue type product for sticking and sealing), I first decoupaged
the table top.  Then I kept going....the legs and the sides and it just kept 
looking better and better! 
It was a quick and easy project, that I would say is beginner level.
On another whim, I added a few cutouts of the paper where the lilac stripe met
the beige wall, and I let it "drip" down between the old french plates.
I applied this with a Tacky Repositionable Spray
 (I use it for holding stencils in place normally),
 so if I want to remove it I can, as I wasn't sure I would love it. 
 But its pretty and whimsical and it is staying for now and I am in love with my office!
This decorative paper really turned this masculine 
old work table/desk into something I think is very chic.
And in case you forgot what the old desk looked like...
Here it is in it's before state, a stained linoleum top on steel frame.
The style was just too far away from the French look I had going on.
The white modern chair was enough of a "modern mix", 
and yet the table wasn't doing anything but drag down the space.
Voila!
A little creativity and some decoupage rescued this table and turned 
it into the star of the room.  Think of how you can create personal style using this
 idea in a kid or teen's room, or your own private space like I did.  However,
I wasn't sure what people would think...so I shared a little peek on Facebook.
It seems people love it too!
Just when I thought I might be crazy, Courtney Allison, 
 asked me if I had seen the black floral desk from designer Cynthia Rowley?
Well no, I hadn't, and after a quick google search I found it!
Modern lines, and a bold pink and black floral!
Its in her new collection with Hooker Furniture....but hey, how about
you make your own with your own favorite paper instead?
I did mine for less than $15.  Her desk is a little less than $2000.
Haha, now that is amazing!

 photo signature_zpsxi5q1w6r.png

9 comments:

  1. Such an incredible transformation Amy...I really LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! It looks beautiful and SO unique! And so fun and girly! I love it, Amy!
    love and blessings~
    Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of years ago, I covered my old computer desk with black and white floral contact paper from the Dollar Store - transformed it and covered accessories too - for less than $3.00! It's good to be crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amy!...I love it!....and to think that you and Cynthia are on the same page....great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfection for your office. Nice job Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I was reading this, I thought, I will send her that photo of the Rowley desk -- but someone already did. I love it! I am going to see if I can find the paper because I think I would like to put this inside the armoire I just painted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT is a truly wonderful makeover! Our church has a little serving cart that's in dire need of a face lift! You've given me some great ideas :-) I LOVE your table with the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, how fun is THAT, Amy!!! I love it- it is feminine and just plain FUN! Too too cute! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...